Friday, January 22, 2010

It’s a new year. Got goals?.

Part 1.


It’s that time of the year again when the fitness clubs are jam packed with “resolutioners”. Are you one of them and will you keep it up?. I am posing the question to myself as well.

I have learnt to break my resolution into goals and objectives. That helps me manage small pieces at a time.

Exercise and diet are key areas of our lives that we cannot and should not ignore. Gone are the days of mindless eating and in are the days of mindful eating.

My objective this year is to keep in shape, and sustain my weight. I am not doing this for vanity sake or to look good in those skinny jeans, but mainly to be fit and have energy to play with my kids and to have long term health benefits.


You might argue that our grandparents lived long without exercise and our parents don't exercise. True, but their world was not as processed, high tech, and polluted as ours is today. Their food was made from fresh ingredients, their lives were not as hectic, stressful or driven as ours is today, and our parents always had help raising us.

Exercise has been known to lower cholesterol, blood pressure and diabetes risks. It improves your mood, improves your outlook on life and just makes you feel good emotionally and physically.

Your goals could be :
- Take a ten minute brief walk at the start of the day
- Go for a 10 minute walk after lunch
- Jog for 10 minutes in the evening
* Depending on your work schedule.

If there is no way at all you can make it to a gym, invest in a treadmill or elliptical machine (instead of designer bags, watches, shoes), and do your 30 minutes while watching TV.

Early to bed and early to rise is still true, you can get up 30 minutes earlier, and you'll be done for the day.

Set achievable goals, stick with it for a month and you will be on your way.

I learnt a valuable lesson in a quote I found somewhere “make your goal your habit”. I heard it takes 30 days to form a habit. If it becomes a habit, you do it effortlessly, right +.

Lets aim for that. Let’s do this together, let's countdown 30 days -30, 29, 28….

No comments:

Post a Comment